05 February 2008

Sudah Masuk Lapan Meh?

When I started working here, I was positioned at Sales & Marketing department serving a very garang but very effective lady-boss. I did not really know what to expect because I never held such position before. Therefore, there were many incidents including the blur-blur ones, funny ones, sad ones and stupid ones. I used to work from 8.00am to 11.00pm and at month-end it could extended to 3 to 4 AM! There were times I drove home crying, feeling so tired and lonely. I didn't even know my housemate. I worked long hours coz I was slow, overworked (so I was told) and my boss only allowed me to go back when she goes back – which is late. Lunch hour, I quickly eat and within 10 to 15 minutes, I am back at my desk. On Saturday, when everybody goes back at 1.00pm, I was so happy if I can go back at 5.00pm. Still, I felt like I was not good enough, not work hard enough and I felt like I was invisible to others.

People asked how I could stand such a boss? The pay? The workload? The working hours? Still, I never thought of leaving. It was difficult for me to find a job before I finally got it, so please la...; I do not want to repeat the whole process again. Serik.

Just few months after that, I heard a news about both GM’s & Group GM’s assistants have tendered their resignation. Few secretaries, admin assistants and coordinators were applying for the vacancies. I did nothing. I never thought of leaving my (then) current position – not when I was still not very good at it and there were so many things need to be done.

My boss told me to be prepared to be transferred. I was a bit sad thinking that she does not like me and wanna get rid of me. I think she sensed it and later called me to clarify the matter. “It is a promotion la ngok!”. He.. he.. Naper tak cakap awal-awal?

My current boss is a Japanese male. He is in-charge of hotel management & property development representing a public listed company in Malaysia and Japan. He is a fussy man who has eyes for extra extra extra details. A workaholic who works from early morning till late night. A smart man with sarcastic vocabularies, cunning and suspicious thoughts. The type who wants things now and to be done now. He walks very fast, talk very fast and thinks fast and change decision fast too. Many people surprise that I can work with him this long. That is the beauty of being a personal assistant. I know him better than others therefore able to handle him better. There are times when we both at different perspectives but at the end of the day (or at the end of the week, at most) we settle it through discussion. He is actually friendly, good hearted, funny and very thoughtful gentlemen. No office politics, nothing personal - just a good business. Those who work long with him will eventually see this part of him.

I learned and experienced many things here. The sad and happy times, the best and the worst times. This is where I learn a lot about corporate world, about business and management, about friendship and betrayal, about sincerity and dishonesty, about love, hate and indifferent, about value and worthless. In fact I found my husband here too. Berkawan, bercinta, berahsia, bertunang and finally the surprise wedding news. Gempar satu hotel. Saper la sangka! He.. he..

Yesterday, I completed the 7th year of service with this organization. Seven years is not a very long time - some people may say, but I am quite amazed that I am still here, love this company, the people and the things that I am doing.

After 7 years, I am not the naïve Normi. People do not treat me the way they used to. My boss doesn’t work with me the way we worked 7 years ago. Just in seven years, I think I changed a lot. But still; there are a lot more to improve – and I am planning to do improvement everyday. There are more benefits and privileges now (which are not so great compared to some multinational companies la…) and I enjoy them moderately.

Today, the eighth year has started and coming with its own content. With the boss’ new assignments and responsibilities, I too - like or not; will have to be involved. More is expected from me, more challenges waiting ahead and more conflicts and events are coming. Who knows, I might encounter job related crisis that make me hate this place, the people & the job? The possibilities are endless. Only God knows.
Never mind.

Come my 8th year. Bring it on!

4 comments:

Norliana Abdul Rahman said...

8 tahun tuh!!!!

Nomee said...

Konot @ He.. he...

Anonymous said...

oh normi....8 tahun!!! sangat lah tahniah ok.

Nomee said...

Cik Ros @
Kau baca gak blog aku yang merapu ngan grammar & spelling yang tunggang telangkup ni yer...

Your Personality is Very Rare (ESTP)

Your personality type is dominant, driven, poised, and self-aware. Only about 5% of all people have your personality, including 3% of all women and 6% of all men You are Extroverted, Sensing, Thinking, and Perceiving.