06 July 2007

My Buddy

TODAY

is not the anniversary of anything,
not Friendship’ Day,
not her birthday and
NO….! the lady in questioned is very much alive.
It is just me;
feeling like writing about someone I call
a FRIEND.

I met her the first time when she walked into my office about 6 years ago, introduced by then, training manager. She looked at me with her cautious eyes and nervous smile. Since, her position was vacant for quite sometimes, she only had me to guide her on the job routine and what was expected from her, at least for the first few weeks, plus we were in the same department, doing more or less the same functions, only to serve different bosses – that made us quite close, fast. She used to call me KAWAN. Sound funny to me.

“Kawan, nak tanya sket…”
“Kawan, makan jom”
“Kawan, macam mana nak buat ni?”

Starting from colleague and lunch partner we evolved to tea-time partner to dinner partner. Both of us were having single life then - she had no boyfriend and I was in a long-distance relationship so we tried our best to spend the ‘emptiness’ by lepaking together with other new friends after office hours.

It was not so difficult though. She was the mastermind – the one who arranged for the venue, time and agenda. From two, become three, four, five and many people gathered at whenever, wherever and whatever she had arranged for us. Birthday, wedding, funeral, farewell, BBQ, picnic, games, movie, teh tarik, buka puasa, open house, shopping – you name it.

Work wise, I personally think that we were at our best when we were in the same team. Armed with same-detailed-confirmed information, same views and understandings, carried the same work-ethics and attitudes - we were strong together - no one dared to bully us at work (so I was told).

Personal wise, we kept our distance at acceptable level. We talked freely on subjects that we were comfortable with, avoided issues that we both knew that one of us did not want to share. We were actually had a quite different lifestyle and personality outside the office (confession: she was the good girl, I was the naughty one), but yet we talked about it, carried-on with our lifestyle. No judgement formulated. We just accept each other.

We told each other some secrets that we knew will remain secret (at least for few years - until they are no-longer-secret matter).

She was there when I cried my heart out for lost love, she was there to listen to my nonsense-clubbing thingy, she was there to support me with my ‘not-so-popular decision’, she was all the way with me.

I tried my best to be with her too. When she excitedly told me about an old-guy-on-the-block, about her frustration for misread behaviors of others that caused her pain, about the prospective greener path offered to her, whined about her long-single life and about so many other things (She has got an award: Queen of Whiners from ME institute of MYSELF)

Of course, we did have misunderstandings on so-called brilliant and insignificant issues. We talked about it, we gave explanations (somehow we felt responsible to justify our actions), we sought after understanding, we promised and we good.
So happened, we found our life partners at the same place; something that I believed due to her initiative at bringing as many people as she could in one of the many activities organized (or mostly forced) by her.

We exchanged and compared notes. Together we were excited about wedding preparations. Together we were excited about life after that. Together we were exited when we compared our bulging tummies. Together we were exited to do preparation to welcome the little ones. (We, anyway, easily get exited on many things, you see).
Now that we are no longer working together, we keep in-touch regularly. No more regular outings, but there are other matters that we passionate (to discuss) about, such as our babies.
CONGRATULATIONS! Welcome to motherhood my friend. A pair of children - your twin; will definitely bring you joys but busy life. Hang on there. May God give you the physical, emotional (and financial) strength that much needed.

I know we never said that we are BEST-est friends,
but both of us know we are GOOD friends.

(Kualiti Gambar Kurang Memuaskan - Harap Maaf)

Ahmad Akmal Dini

Siti Khadijah



The Proud Parents

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nomi,

Ler aku tak tahu yg ko ada blog.....baru terjumpa. Bila nak dtg opis aku.Julie pun dah kerja sama tmpt ngan aku...meh aaa..

Myza

Amy said...

Nomee - Nicely written! It's a good feeling when you have this kind of friend, trust me :D

reenazack said...

nomee,
welcome to the blog world.. nanti aku link ko nyer blog kat aku nyer ek..tehehehehe..

Nomee said...

Myza,
Tu hari aku jumpa Julie. Minah tu maintain je yek? Dah dekat bebenor ni ape kata kita lunch sesama next week? Aku setuju sgt kau belanja.


Amy,
Very good feeling indeed. But she is still not aware of this (my blog). He..he.. biar kan la.


Aje,
Segan la. Baru terhegeh-hegeh berblog. Aku bace blog kau everyday. Tapi kau tu terhegeh-hegeh la update - menci!

People,
Grammar tunggang langgang. Ampun yek.

Your Personality is Very Rare (ESTP)

Your personality type is dominant, driven, poised, and self-aware. Only about 5% of all people have your personality, including 3% of all women and 6% of all men You are Extroverted, Sensing, Thinking, and Perceiving.