05 March 2008

On Parenting

This morning, I made a request to order Aiman's birthday cake through HR department. Instead of signing for 50% discount for 1 kg cake, HR staff (my lunch partner) allowed me to have 2 kg birthday cake with 50% discount (as per policy, we only can get 50% discount for 1kg cake). Yaaahoooo! I requested for cartoon character but can't decide on which character.
So my lunch partner asked, "What cartoon Aiman likes to watch?"
"Umur dia baru setahun la. Mana ada dia watch TV or shows preference on any cartoon or superhero character", I told her.
"Maybe you never gave him chance to have any....."
she tried to put some senses into my head.
This lunch partner of mine is an experienced mother, so I give a thought to what she just said. Maybe she is right. Whenever we watch TV, we only watch ur fav channels - nothing for babies or kids. I never tried encourage Aiman to watch TV what more baught him any DVD or CD, thinking it is still too early for him.
Am I doing the right thing? Should I encourage him to watch somekind of TV program or start buying CDs / DVDs for him to watch. Or is it still too early for that?
After I heard my lunch partner nagging about me being so clueless and nopt proactive, I proceeded to pastry kitchen to send my order. I told the pastry chef I want a cartoon character - any cartoon character yang dia sangat pandai buat.
"What cartoon he likes to watch?", asked the chef.
"He is only 1-year-old boy. I don't think he cares", aku cuba berdalih.
"But he will be delighted to see his fav character on his cake", he replied.
I am clueless.
I feel terrible.

5 comments:

Norliana Abdul Rahman said...

u can try kasik dia tgk tv.. aku rasa tv can teach them a lot.. bukan mcm citer dulu2 yg tak de faedah..skang punya cartoon byk msg2 bagus.. try lah.. but i hv to warn u.. once dia dah lekat kat TV, ko jgn harap la nak tgk feveret channel nko lagik... tu pasal aku ada 2 astro decoder kat rumah!

azwanihassan said...

ooooo.... i think i should start from now, give them a chance to watch TV to give me clue later bile aku nak order cake utk birthday dieorang in May.

Inn said...

er.. cant i just get my kids normal cake? i think i'd rather not get them started on tv too soon. maybe 2 years old ok. but den again, what do i know? bf pun tak settle lagi. hehe!

But dont feel terrible nomee. my fren yg ada 2 boys said u cud just have the cake in the shape of a car, or train.. or tractor if he has yet to identify to a cartoon character.

Siti Blogger said...

On my kids' 1st and 2nd bday (buat sekali, jimat kos!)...i simply bought readymade cakes at secret recipe...choc and black forest. I was thinking of what I would like to eat rather than the kids hehehe...selfish nye akuu!! Hey, they get the presents, don't they?

I just think kids don't really care, as long as they get to blow the candles. Kadang2 pacak lilin kat atas donut pun and then sing them the happy birthday tune, dah sengeh sampai ke pipi. With that reaction, who needs a cake?

By the way, start tuning in to ch 613 and 611. Kids that age normally suka Barney, Elmo or Thomas.

Nomee said...

Konot @
Betul cakap kau. Masa aku tengah pantang, I was forced to watch my anak-anak buah punya fav channel. Those programs are good for them.

Wani @
Kekadang aku rasa elok aku tak yah kerja. Boleh tengok perkembangan anak depan mata. Bleh?

Inn @
This is not really about birthday cake. I just feel terrible coz I don't know my own very well and I don't even try doing anything much about it. I just want him to behave himself so I will not get so tired taking care of him. Selfish kan?

And why I never thought about cakes in the those shapes huh? I am sooooo not creative!

NiN @
Ch 613 & 611. Thank you for the tips.

I know Thomas coz terpaksa tengok dengan anak-anak buah masa berpantang dulu. My niece once introduced me to her Barney tapi sampai sekarang tak tau binatng apa Barney tu. And Elmo? never heard of it.

Yes... I am that ignorant.

Your Personality is Very Rare (ESTP)

Your personality type is dominant, driven, poised, and self-aware. Only about 5% of all people have your personality, including 3% of all women and 6% of all men You are Extroverted, Sensing, Thinking, and Perceiving.